Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Double Slash recs from SubtlePen

Photobucket



I had a hard time choosing just one rec for my turn at the one-shot Wednesday rec, especially between these two great stories. There seems to be a bunch of camping/hiking fics lately, and that is just fine with me. There is something inherently UNF to me about a man who knows what he’s doing, shouldering a pack and heading out into the wilds. Combine that with a little slashy goodness, and I’m done for.

I thoroughly recommend:
White Blaze to Lone Star

9,303

42

Edward, while backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee, meets fellow hiker Jasper. Originally written for the Fics for Nashville compilation. Edward/Jasper, AH, Slash, Rated M.




ArcadianMaggie’s White Blaze to Lone Star tells the story of Edward, starting a section hike of the Appalachian Trail (the ‘AT’, which runs from Springer, GA to Katahdin, ME) with his brother Emmett during the summer before starting medical school. Adopting the trail names Pre-Med Ed, Big Bear and Goldilocks(Em’s gf Rosalie), we learn about shelter registers, and the other hikers on the trail ahead of our kids, from anecdotes written in notebooks at each campsite. One of the other hikers is Lone Star, who writes in the shelter register about losing his hiking partner…

Pirate Pete had bailed after the fifth straight day of rain and the reality of being away from his girlfriend Charlotte for so long, leaving Lone Star to change his name to Lonesome Star. His entries were fascinating, full of small poems, gorgeous sketches and occasional rambling stream of consciousness paragraphs. I was a little in awe of his creativity, feeling uptight and boring in comparison.

"Hey, Eddie, take a look at this one," Emmett called out as he leafed through the book. "Lone Star sounds like he's losing it." I read the entry, a small poem about a lonesome cowboy, feeling homesick under the starry sky. The rhythm to the words made me think that maybe these were actually song lyrics he'd been writing. “Poor guy. I wish we could catch up to him…”

Edward decides to go on ahead of Emmett and Rose, and catch up to Lonesome Star. After eight grueling days, he finally succeeds. The hesitant friendship that develops soon bubbles over into something neither of them expects, yet is absolutely welcome and undeniable. During an off-trail stop for showers, a hot meal and a clean bed (and a few margaritas), they finally allow themselves to let go.

When we finally made it back to the room, I waited, hanging on to Jasper as he unlocked the door. I leaned in and ran my tongue over the shell of his ear, sucking on his lobe, saying huskily, "Are you going to help me get undressed and tuck me into bed too?" Okay, I was still pretty fucking drunk. I doubt I would ever have had the nerve to say something like that sober.

Jasper groaned. "Fuck, Edward." He yanked me into the room and shut the door, shoving me against it and pressing his entire body against mine. His grey eyes stared intently into my own and I could feel his hard on pushing into me.

Yeah – for what happens next you’re gonna have to read it yourself. Honestly, this fic made me wish I’d never stopped dreaming of hiking the AT. Maybe some day I still will…



Hard as a Rock

8,667

28

A geology expedition yields a cache of life experience for college students Emmett and Jasper. Their most prized find? Each other. AH SLASH (an entry for the "The Me and Mr McCarty" One-Shot Contest)




Chele681’s Hard as a Rock didn’t win any awards in the Me and Mr. McCarty contest, but it certainly deserved to.

Emmett and Jasper are paired together by the instructor of an online Geology course to complete a field exercise in Oregon. Having only exchanged a few brief emails before the trip, they spend the first few hours of their expedition getting to know one another as they collect samples and share stories of their lives, solidifying an easy friendship.

"See? Now that's fucking beautiful, man," he said enthusiastically. "But we've already found our quota for quartz. I think you should keep it. It'll give you something to remember this trip."

I watched him while he spoke, his presence indelibly marking itself in my history. Holding the stone in my hand, I knew that years from now when I looked at it, it wouldn't be a field trip to Oregon I remembered.

It would be Jasper.

As the weekend goes quickly by, Emmett struggles with his confusing attraction to Jasper, especially when Jasper reveals that he is gay, and a climbing accident almost ends in tragedy. On their last night in camp, Emmett can no longer deny what is happening between them.

“…I don't know what's going on here. This is all pretty fucking new to me, like, this morning new. I'm completely out of control. I don't even know why I feel this way about you."

"How do you feel about me?"

"Never mind. I don't do this."

"So you're straight? Is that what you're trying to tell me? Because, the hard-on you've been sporting since yesterday is calling you a liar, and I have a tendency to fucking agree with it."

"No, you're right. I have no fucking idea what I'm doing, I admit it. Yes, my fucking cock wants to follow you around like a puppy. It's more than that, though. I've never felt anything like this."

Knowing Jasper will be leaving immediately after their expedition for a two-year stint in the Peace Corps makes the ending of this story bittersweet.

I could hear the ocean in the distance like a far away train. The similar rhythm of Jasper's breath was so close, in and out.

"So you've never been with a man before?" Jasper asked.

"No."

"I thought not."

"I want to be with you, though." I said. My voice sounded shaky, even to me.

His breath escaped him in a sigh, "I thought so."

"Oh. That's cool if you're not -"

Before I could finish he interrupted, "No, It's not that I don't. Fuck, Emmett. I'm only here for the weekend. I'm not prepared for this…any of this. In two weeks I'll be living in a hut without indoor plumbing. I'm not sure I'll even have a phone. I can't even promise to call you. Up until yesterday I knew, unequivocally, that it was the greatest decision I'd ever made. I still know it's the right thing to do, but I'm feeling an entirely different kind of selfish now. I don't want to toy with you. I can't stay, but god, I just...I want to touch you so fucking badly right now."

I heard the desperation in his voice. It mirrored mine.

"Please," I said.

I am happy to admit that I outright begged Chele681 for a continuation. You will, too.

0 comments: