Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nina knows the "Secret's In The Sauce"


Secret's In The Sauce

cevuplay

6,645

26

When Jasper signed his little sister Bella, and his best friend, Edward, up for cooking classes for the summer, he didn't realize that what he did would irrevocably change them all. One shot for the Lovin in the Oven Contest.



This was an entry for the Lovin' In the Oven contest. Originally when Emmy sent me the link to the contest I assumed it was one-shots about being pregnant. Um... it's not. I went through the summaries and read them all but I really enjoyed this one.

Anyone that knows me or has had the displeasure of listening to me rant about whoreward and virginellas and my dislike for them. That being said, you won't find that here. What you do find is a realistically portrayed 18 year old Bella with reasonable experiences for her age and a slightly older Edward finding out just how little he knew about his best friend's little sister.

Being that it's a o/s I was impressed with the amount of story the author worked into it, lemon included. It easily read like a short story and I'm grateful for that. She even managed to work in the rest of the characters without it feeling crowded or overdone.

I only found out who the author was today. I don't know where she placed in the contest but I do look forward to reading more of her work :)

2 comments:

snshyne said...

Hi! I hosted the Lovin' in the Oven Contest. You're not the only one who thought it was about pregnancy, which makes me LOL.

Anyway, I'm so glad you rec'd this. I thought it was a great o/s. cevuplay placed first in the Main Course category. And rightly so I must say.

snshyne

janiceelynn said...

To be honest, I didn't really like the style the author chose to write it in. It's omniscient, but seems more like a screenplay where there's dialogue, and the actions the character's supposed to do, but lacks a certain connection the actor would bring. When it comes to a story, it's the author's job to fill in that gap with feelings and descriptions and so on. The way she wrote it, to me, is incomplete. While reading it I felt detached and had to fight to really enjoy the story and it left me wanting.

So, all in all, it was alright, but had she chosen another style to write it in, it could have been much, much better.