Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ask Naughty Nurse Kimpy 2-15-12

Photobucket

Ask Naughty Nurse Kimpy is an advice column that addresses reader’s most burning questions on sexual health/relationships. STIs, birth control, is it real or is it fic, sexual positions--you name it. There are no stupid questions, only ones that are too embarrassing to asks someone you know. If Naughty Nurse Kimpy doesn’t know the answer, she’ll find an expert who does!


DISCLAIMER:
The information and advice from Ask Naughty Nurse Kimpy is for entertainment/educationalpurposes only and is not intended to be used as expert medical advice. It is not meant to replace theadvice of your physician. All medical advice and information should be considered to beincomplete without a physical exam, which is not possible without a visit to yourdoctor.



When she talked about the Diva Cup in a recent post, Naughty Nurse Kimpy sparked a flurry of reader comments, and this week is no exception:

Hi Nurse Kimpy, I love your column, and have been reading for a while. You do great work, lady! I don't have a question, but I *do* have a comment about the Diva Cup...

I've been using one for over a year. I've found that I *can't* use it the first day of my period due to cramping (I think the suction that keeps the cup in place intensifies the cramps, but that's just a guess), and instead I rely on other methods that particular day. So I guess I'd tell prospective Diva Cup users to give it a go, but if the first day of their period they find it uncomfortable, to give it a rest and try again the next day.

I don't think it's a 100% solution for 100% of the women out there 100% of the time, but it's an awesome little device for so many reasons... not least of which being that when wearing it, I don't FEEL like I'm on my period! Seriously--just a regular day, and no ugly smell of menstrual blood when using the washroom! And I just feel cleaner, all around. Completely worth the (slight) hassle of the learning-curve, right there, in my opinion.

*Nurse Kimpy nods in agreement* True, true, the Diva Cup isn’t for everyone. There is a squick factor involved that some women don’t want to take on--to each their own. The Diva Cup can also pose challenges if you’re a heavy bleeder, too. (TMI ALERT)Nurse Kimpy has to change cups 3-4 times in the first 24h, and wears a pad along with the cup the first night. As you use the cup over a period of several cycles, however, you start to figure out how your own body works and what you need.

I work at a restaurant and my greatest fear actually came true. Starting my period while in the middle of a shift with no tampons on hand. I had to, embarrassingly, go around to my female co-workers in search for a tampon quickly while in the middle of the lunch rush. Luckily one girl did have one.

Since then, I've seen you recommend "Diva Cups" in your story and on your blog and I've decided to do my own little research and actually found a place near my house that sells them! They are convenient to just keep in my center console in my car in times like these. I no longer have to worry about constantly buying tampons or asking around for them. Not to mention I don't have to go change one in the middle of the rush or worry about leaks.

You have officially solved my problem! Thank You!

*Naughty Nurse Kimpy smiles and bounces around the room happily* I know, I know! It’s a great solution to many period problems women have. So glad it’s working well for you!

Hey chica! Quick question. I'm on oral contraceptives. Two days ago my right leg had some random pains. Throughout the day, tiny points of deep ache would happen in different places. Today I was sitting down and the same leg suddenly got pins-and-needles along with a cold feeling. It's slowly abating, but I'm concerned about blood clots as a result of the meds. Is this worth seeing the doc about or am I making stuff up?

Naughty Nurse Kimpy doubts that you are making this up. The symptoms you describe are consistent with the specific type of blood clot that can be a side effect of taking the pill--a DVT or Deep Vein Thrombosis in the leg. While that is serious in and of itself, it can result in something even more serious: the clot will moving from your leg up to your heart, where it can kill you.

Nurse Kimpy urges you to definitely get it checked out by a physician. She isn’t saying that you absolutely, positively have a blood clot--she simply believes that the symptoms warrant further investigation. It’s far better to act now and deal with it not being a clot than it is to wait and find out that it is. The risk of getting a blood clot on the pill, while small, is still very real, and Nurse Kimpy urges you to err on the side of caution. Please.

Could my lack of libido be related to endometriosis?

Endometriosis is a painful, chronic disease in which patches of the tissue that lines the uterus--the endometrium--are found outside of the uterus. The most common places the patches can be found are on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, in the lining of the pelvic cavity, and the outer surface of the uterus, but it can be found literally anywhere in the body. Since the patches are uterine tissue, it often acts just like the uterine tissue does every month--it bleeds, then part of the skin is sloughed off. The end result is a lot of pain before, during, and after each cycle. It can even make sex painful, too.

As if all that isn’t bad enough, Endometriosis can, as you mention above, definitely have an impact on libido. While Nurse Kimpy’s research hasn't been able to find a clear scientific link that says if you have Endometriosis, your libido drops, there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest you are not alone. She encourages you to visit your gynecologist to see if they can offer any suggestions on how to cope with these symptoms. They may have meds that can help or other treatments that can help.

<

Do you have a question for Naughty Nurse Kimpy? Click the banner below, fill out the form, and get your answer in the next installment of Ask Naughty Nurse Kimpy.

Photobucket

0 comments: