Monday, September 26, 2011

Team WussPerv: Off the Beaten Path by rpgirl27

Photobucket
Team Wussperv, this team is made up of myself, Emmy aka Pippapear, Jess aka Jessypt, Kim aka Kimpy0464, & Trin aka TFX or NaughtySparkle. Plus we might every so often have one of our other pervs crash our party, as the fluffy goodness appeals to them too much!

I'm sure you're wondering what the fuck a wussperv is, right? A wussperv is someone that is...
A) Tragically canon
B) Loathes angst (when in massive doses)
C) Loves smut
D) Needs a Happy-Ever-After

We love to read new fluffy recc’s. :) Please let us know your favourite WussPerv friendly fic. It might be Team WussPervs next recc!




The Team WussPerv Pick is...
Title: Off The Beaten Path
Author: RPGirl27
Chapters: 16
Words: 75,000
Reviews: 1,168
Summary: Bella is on a mission to change her life. Will a tiny school in a small mountain town offer her a new beginning? And why does every one want her to stay out of the woods? Set in the 1920s/30s. AH ExB MountainmanWard Rated M for violence/language/sex.


Emmy - I have eternal thanks for our beloved Jen for reccing this fic to us WussPervs! What a find!! An abso treat! I LOVE THIS STORY!
To me this is quite a unique story. I have not read another ff quite like it! Either in story or in characterizations! I think not only do I love this Edward SO so so so so much, but this might be my favourite Jasper. Yep you heard me. Me who is not J’s biggest fan is in love with this Jasper! A wonderful characterization that I feel really brings him to life. Maybe just not in the way you might imagine?

This Bella is a single-minded and strong-willed young woman. She has her own mind and owns it! Despite what the world around her might dictate or expect from her, she forges her own way and often forges on ahead. (What is quite funny to me is that when I first started reading this fic, I didn’t realize it was a historical fic - I thought it was a current day fic. SO even though the fic was set in a different time period, the initial bit that I had read, I didn’t think that the fic read weird or that Bella didn’t sound modern enough!) Yet although she is ballsey and head strong, she is still also a product of her times and the weight of expectations that pressed down on a lady of that era. Especially a lady without status. Bella is a breath of fresh air to the small mining community, pretty much owned and most definitely controlled by one (horrid!!!!) Mr Carlisle Cullen..... Bella’s fresh, objective and unbiased approach to teaching her school room certainly catches the attention of one Edward Masen. But you certainly couldn't call it love or lust at first sight. Fascination? Infuriation? Perhaps.

Raising my fist to rap on it, I saw the door spring open before I could make contact with the weathered wood. A male figure filled the entrance. A male figure toting a very large gun.

I tried to scream, but as it so often happens in dreams, the only sound I made was a strangled shriek as I stumbled back, nearly falling off the porch.

He pressed forward, and I stumbled back until my feet hit the dirt of the yard. I was just about to turn and run, when the evening sun glinted off his hair, a shade of red so unusual, I knew it could only belong to one man. All the anger, hurt, and fear from Saturday bubbled up inside of me, and I found my feet planting themselves firmly, and my finger pointing at him, temporarily forgetting the enormous old rifle he gripped in his hands.

"You!" I shouted accusatorily. "You're the…the…the man who chased me out of the woods!"
He looked between the tip of the gun and me, and shrugged.

"What of it? These are my woods, and you were an intruder. I have every right to run you off, and since it seems you didn't get the message the first time, this is me, inviting you to leave. Now."

Edward pulled the hammer back and the gun made an ominous click, but I had found my voice, and I wasn't leaving until I had given him a piece of my mind.

"You won't scare me off again," I insisted, stamping my foot.

Edward smirked, stifled a laugh that made my cheeks blaze with indignation, and leaned his face down to line up the shot, calling my bluff.

"No?" He stepped closer, the bare skin of his chest and arms becoming more visible the further he came from the shadowy porch. "You must think I'm putting you on, that I won't shoot you, nosey woman with no business wandering around on my land. Who sent you? Cullen? Maybe you came from the devil himself."

"No one sent me; I sent myself. And yes, I believe you would try to shoot me, but that gun is so ancient you'd more than likely blow a hole through your own arm." I may not have looked it, but being a policeman's daughter, I did know something about guns.

His grip on the gun loosened as heBella, she is quite feisty and it's interesting to see how she navigates tared at me in shock. His nose crinkled up, and he looked at me like I was the biggest idiot he had ever met, while I made every effort to not be distracted by his shirtlessness and the soft, laid-back timbre of his voice.

"Now, put that ridiculous thing down and at least let me say what I came to say."

"I ain't interested in anything you have to say, so save your breath and march your pompous little ass back down the mountain where you belong."

My cheeks colored again at his description of me, and his use of profanity in my presence. It wasn't very often that I heard such words used in conversation.

Just as I was about to express my outrage, a little face peeped out of the door behind him, and I quickly closed my mouth, lest my own language be unsuitable for small ears. Clearing my throat, I noticeably shifted my gaze to the small child and smiled at her.

Edward saw the change in my demeanor and glanced over his shoulder. Shaking his head in annoyance, he barked, "Rosie! I told you to stay in the house!"

She smiled back at me around her thumb, which was firmly rooted in her mouth, her other hand coming up to give me a tiny wave.

"In the house, Rosalie Masen. Get in the house!"

She walked up behind him, latched her free arm around his leg and stared up at him. Popping her thumb out, she pointed at me and giggled. "Pretty lady," I heard her say.

Edward rolled his eyes and sighed. He propped the gun against the porch railing and lifted Rosalie up, placing her on his hip. He looked down at her messy blonde curls with a sudden sadness in his eyes, before shifting his stance and redirecting his attention to me.

"Look, lady. Whoever you are and whatever you want, it isn't going to work here," he said in a voice so low I almost didn't hear it. "You keep to your business, and we'll keep to ours. Don't interfere. You don't belong up here."

"I just…I just…" I was tongue-tied by his quiet forcefulness.

"You just what? Want to help?" he snorted. "We don't need your charity, nor do we need the Cullen kind of schoolin,' or his brand of Jesus. Everything Rosie and Jasper need to know, I can tell them my own self. Get off my land, lady, and forget you ever saw us."

He turned around and walked back inside the house, Rosie waving mournfully from her perch on his hip. The door slammed resolutely behind them.

So what about Edward? Jesus Christ - this just might be my favouritist favourite Edward. I can’t say too much about him - as I do NOT want to give away this wonderful plot. But seriously he makes me swoon, squirm and squeee. We start off as seeing him as a total unreasonable grump-a-lump. He appears hot-headed, ignorant and restrictive of his family. But its through Bella’s determination, first at trying to get his family an education and then at trying to get to know Edward that we see the real Edward. Perhaps it is also Edwards determination to see the real Bella that we see Edward. And who is the real Edward? Well you need to read the fic to find out for yourself. But he is a real man, rough, rugged and rawly sexy. But with a molten chocolate pudding [see British definition of pudding not American!) for a heart. The care he takes for all those he considers kin. The protection and protectiveness of those he loves. The things he does for Bella, just because he wants to do right by her. The tenderness contained within. Gah. All of it - its almost too much. (No its not! Its perfect! He’s wonderful!).

I adore the burgeoning relationship between Bella and Edward. I love what they cannot fight. How well suited they are for one another, and how Edward’s world was made for Bella, even if neither of them can necessarily see that at first. So I know you lot want to know about the dirrrrty stuff! Well this fic has the perfect, achey slow build! This represents the setting of the story, the characters circumstances but also the love that builds between the two. Edward wants to do right by Bella. Well he most certainly does her right!!

I don’t want to spoil the goodies for you, so here is a tiny teasey taste!
"But–" I only eeked out one word before he silenced me with a kiss. I could hear the hoots and hollers above the music, but Edward had a way of drowning out the crowd until I only felt him. My fingers gripped the swirl of hair at the nape of his neck, and my tongue inched into his mouth until it tangled with his.

"Take it out back, or at least up in the hayloft, would ya?" Garrett's voice broke through our bubble, and Edward stopped the kiss to snort and laugh.

"I don't need to hide nothin'," Edward shouted back. He raised me up, kissing me with my feet dangling like he seemed to like.
Edward has his own special brand of charm. He’s physically a grafter, and therefore is extremely fit and hardy. I still unffff over the bath scenes, or the scene at the water hole.....

I am not going to spoil this fic for you - you have to devour the very quick and easy read for yourself, for the story to unfold and have you gripped (like Bella in one of Edward’s possessive holds), right to the very end. The story has a few smaller parts - such as The Cullens, and a lovely little sub-story with Jasper. I seriously cannot fault this fic. Except for that it is complete (barring the 2nd and final part of the epilogue!) God I want more of it! An outtake or futuretake? God I ruddy hope so - maybe for FGB? I want everything and anything I can get of these two. As I adore them and this story so! Thank you RPGirl27. I cannot recc this story enough. This story has so much going for it. Its got everything I would want and then some. You MUST read it! Please?


Jen - When I saw grrlinterrupted tweet in excitement about a new Mountainward chapter, I immediately had to ask for the link. I mean, Edward, rugged, mountain. What’s not to like? As it turns out, Off The Beaten Path surpassed any expectation I held. RPGirl27 has given us something completely different in the world of AH fics.

I love this feisty, determined Bella. She’s traveled across the country, alone, to take a job as a teacher in a small West Virginia town. She has no qualms about marching up the mountain to confront a rather curmudgeonly Edward-whom she knows nothing about-for the purpose of getting him to send his young brother and sister to school. Despite being frightened of him, she seems to have no problem defying her employer’s rules. Carlisle Cullen, who hired Bella as the town’s teacher, is a first-class asshole. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve ever despised Carlisle.

Like I said, Edward is a curmudgeon. You get the feeling he’d be a hermit were it not for the fact that he has to care for his two young half-siblings, Rosie and Jasper. There’s a long-standing family feud with Carlisle, and Edward is extremely protective of his siblings, their home, and the land left to them by their father. When you first meet Edward you might think you’ve just met another cocky and obnoxious Edward, but that’s not the case. Inside, he’s a total sweetie; it just takes Bella’s persistence before we get to see it.

Edward and Bella’s first few meetings do not go well, to put it mildly, although there are times I’m sure Bella had whiplash from a few instances of Edward being sweet. But as is often the case with characters who appear to make each other crazy, these two make each other crazy in a good way. The UST is heavy, and their spats definitely toe the line between an outright argument and their own brand of foreplay.

He reached over suddenly, tracing the length of my nose with his fingertip, and looking at me seriously. "You're very pretty." He snorted. "When you're quiet."

A moment went by before I realized what he had said. Furious, I pushed him backward and straddled him, slapping his chest and yelling, "You are a complete and utter…donkey's ass!"

He laughed loudly. "Such language! And from a teacher, no less!" He pretended to be shocked, grabbing at my hands and pulling me down, trapping my arms against his body. The harder I struggled, the more he laughed, and the more I wanted to laugh, too.

Within seconds, we were both laughing so hard we could barely breath. And then the time came when we realized how close we were, and how much closer we'd like to be.

"You really are an ass," I whispered against his lips.

"I'd have to agree," he whispered back before running his tongue along my bottom lip and sucking it into his mouth. However, he didn't stay there long. I felt his lips on my chin, my throat, and my collarbones. It was then that I remembered I only wore a summer nightgown, and I could feel his warm hands fanning out across my back, pushing me closer.

I love it! And it only gets thicker (twss) and more intense as the story continues. I adore how RPGirl27 balances comedy with UST and a plot with a lot of action and adventure. Edward is sexy as hell and Bella’s spine makes you root for her like mad. I haven’t even mentioned the cuteness of Rosie and the way that Jasper looks up to and emulates his big brother. Go on and discover the joys of Mountainward for yourself!


Jess - I have a soft spot for historical fiction; there’s something magical about being transported to another era and immersed in a different time. So, when I heard the girls raving about “Mountainword,” I knew this story was for me. Off the Beaten Path, as Jen so nicely described, is the story of a young, fierce, independent woman who sets out with conviction to start a new life. As a woman, there’s something very compelling about Bella’s story, and as you read, it immediately pulls you in. She starts off with this:
Twenty-four years old, never married, and no family to speak of, I had decided to make myself over, to start again.
The situation from which Bella leaves is one none of us want to experience, and yet many of us have. Through it all, she handles every challenge with dignity, confidence, and passion.

Edward is equally fiery and passionate. He is a man of humble means, working the land that’s been in his family’s possession, and very much a loner. Above all, he is fiercely protective of his home, his land, and his family - Jasper and Rose. We see time and again how this plays out, but none more clearly than the children’s first day of school.

My fingers were finally able to work Rosalie's hair loose, and as soon as she was free, I bolted out of the door after Jasper and Mr. Cullen. I got no further than the doorway, when I spied the next disaster about to befall the day.

Edward was striding down the road, gun thrown over his shoulder, his expression warring between two emotions, determination and absolute furiousness. I flew toward Mr. Cullen, my hands yanking on his arm, trying to get it away from Jasper's throat. He attempted to shrug me off, but I hung on him, pulling with all my weight and strength, at the same time, shouting that Jasper wasn't to blame for the incident.

The schoolyard quieted, but I kept shouting, until I heard a booming, though always melodious, voice call out to me.

"Bella Swan! Get out of the way!"

Edward had reached the schoolyard, stopping just short of the gate. Instead of his gun being slung over his shoulder, he had whipped it around, snapped the barrel open, loaded and readied it to fire with the ominous clicking sound I recognized from when I had formerly been his target.

But that level of protection doesn’t just stop there. As Bella forces her way into their lives it extends to her. And it’s in the warring that goes on between these two, that we see love and friendship and companionship and new feelings grow and abound.

Like the girls have said, there are so many amazing things about this story, but perhaps the thing I love most is the way Bella doesn’t seem to adhere to all the natural conventions of the time. It’s clear she values the “rules,” but she doesn’t let them stand in the way of her growing feelings or what she feels is right. When they finally quit denying their feelings and give in, it just feels so... them.
I couldn't remember the last time I was tickled.

As it had earlier in the night, our innocent games turned not so innocent when he started kissing the bare flesh he found at my throat. My back arched, still trying to wiggle away from his tickling fingers, but they swept up my ribs and settled on my chest, his palms rubbing against my breasts for barely a second before traveling up and cupping my face. Our eager mouths were joined once more, his kisses even more fervent than before.

My skin was hot, and so was his. I clutched at the bareness of his arms, digging my nails in. Our heavy breaths filled the night air, until it was all I heard, and all I wanted to hear.

Wantonly, I swung my legs over his hips, craving his touch in ways that I had never imagined. The movement seemed to snap him out of the web of lust we had caught ourselves in, and he stilled, panting and groaning in my ear.

"We must stop this, or I'll be showing you how babies get here. From a not so scientific standpoint."

Beyond all this, the secondary characters - Alice, Jasper, Rose, and even Carlisle - have unique voices and play very important roles in this story. RPGirl27 does an excellent job using them to help tell and move this story along in a well-written, well-paced, and well-balanced way.

Ladies, if you are looking for a story that is different, has UST (gah!) galore, then look no farther. Make sure you leave RPGirl27 some love along the way, and tell her the Pervs sent you.

Trin - Oh sweet mercy this story is just superb.

Teal - Wait a minute... *looks around* ...what am I doing in a Team WussPerv rec? Well, my little pervlings, the fact of the matter is that this fic is just that good. If you don’t already believe it after all the amazing reviews my friends have given you here, let me just drive it home.


From the very beginning, I was taken with this fic because it’s just plain different. The plot is unique, dabbling in historical fiction, which gave it a refreshing spin on the usual All Human stories. The times were quite different, of course, and we had to see how Bella of this era would handle sexual inequality and being alone in the world with no family. It’s clear by her cross country move from Washington to West Virginia that she’s brave, a fact that she proves over and over (and over) again throughout the entirety of the fic. I also loved that the setting for this was so unique. Variety is always nice, but mountainous West Virginia opened doors to a completely different culture and lifestyle.

Now darlings, heed a few warnings: Carlisle is not likeable. At all. Jasper is a born charmer...but he’s only fourteen. But do I still think it’s worth the effort, even when you’ll be so sad about our favorite Father of the Year cast as the bad guy? Oh, fuck yeah.

There is such wonderful UST in this story, and it doesn’t come without explanation or reason. Edward is immediately inclined to dislike Bella because she is trying to pull his siblings into what he believes is the Cullen’s world. Family feuds cut deep, and grudges are held. However, his attempts to scare her off don’t work. Bella is bull-headed, and her meddling persistence is actually part of what keeps Edward interested. Her genuine interest in the well-being and education of Jasper and Rosalie doesn’t hurt much either. And Edward...oh *swoon*. He’s definitely a little rough around the edges at times, yet inexplicably refined at times. Though he lacks formal education, he holds a wealth of knowledge. His worth ethic is fierce. Of course, he’s pretty, too =) Beard-y Edward playing the banjo? Uh, yes please!

There’s just so much to these characters. They annoy and piss each other off at many times, always struggling to be the one in control and the one who knows best, but that’s part of what makes them so perfect together. They do whatever it takes to be together, sacrifice everything, and never give up. Now, if that isn’t true love, then I don’t know what is. The intensity of their relationship is what makes each love scene so sexy. It’s as though each moment they have is filled with desperation and need. They know they want forever, but life keeps working against them, so they take each moment as if it’s the last they have.

I’m seriously in love, friends. By far one of the most unique fics out there right now, and I’m sure that once you start reading, you won’t be able to stop!

[Emmy - ETA: Teal is a big fluff E/B loving whore! Don’t believe otherwise! ;) lol]

0 comments: