Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Team Slash learns to "Breathe"




Now it's time for Team Slash to have a go and give you a reach around. We love the man-love and enjoy a little girl on girl on the side.

We are Hopey aka manyafandom, Kathy aka MsKathy, and Stephie aka 4theluvofmary.


Title: Breathe
Author: Zulfiqar

Summary: The reclusive and famous Jasper Whitlock moves to Forks, Washington to escape a dark past. There he meets and is befriended by a mysterious man named Edward. Will their shared passions save them, or destroy everything? Jasper & Edward

Hopey-Breathe is very different from any slash that is out there that I’ve found. The mystery and suspense that permeated the 1st half of Twilight is present here. Told entirely from Jasper’s POV Breathe offers up little bits of information and hints as to what is going on as the story progresses. We know nothing until Jasper knows or realizes. Jasper has a dark past that he is running from and trying to overcome, exorcizing his demons through writing and is a popular author. Seeking quiet and solitude he moves to the remote town of Forks where he encounters the Cullens and their generous kind nature. Jasper is immediately drawn to Edward and seeks out his company in hope of finding a true friend, but the friendship or bond between the two of them deepens into something more. In the latest chapter the truth about the Cullens and the true nature of Jasper and Edward’s relationship is revealed. The smut is vague at best and implied or inferred to, a new take on the usually very graphic smut that is found in the slash genre. But the kissing is phenomenal and the emotions that Jasper is feeling are right on the surface. Jasper is quirky and awkward and uses an odd sense of humor to diffuse the tension between Edward and himself. I am anxious to see where this one goes and what comes of this duo.

Kathy- Breathe is a unique slash story, told entirely from Jasper's POV. Secrets are revealed, both for Jasper and Edward, and you learn about these characters slowly. Edward saves Jasper, twice, from asthma attacks in the forest near his family home. Jasper has retreated to a cottage in Forks, from his previous home in Texas, for reasons that I don't think have fully been explained yet. I feel like this story really gets its wings in chapter 7. I'm going to be honest, I felt like the interaction between Edward and Jasper previous to chapter 7 was slightly awkward; I just didn't feel a real connection between them. I also don't quite get Jasper's shoe fetish and I hope that gets explained at some point. Chapter 10 left us on a cliff and I am honestly eager to see where the author takes this story from here. The boys have only just begun to confess their feelings for each other and act on them. It's not clear if this will be an explicitly dirty story, or if the author intends to keep things on the more modest side, and since this is the first posted tale, there is nothing to perhaps try to compare and gauge. I'll be patient and wait; either way, I suspect it will be worth it.

Stephie- I'm always on the look out for a new take on slash. It's kind of hard to stay original, at least so I've discovered in the stories I've checked out. Breathe, in my opinion has taken a very popular trend in the ficdom at the moment and put a new spin on things. As Kathy says, there are secrets on both sides of the relationship that are revealed. Having it all in Jasper's point of view keeps the reader guessing and puts a new spin on the b/b romance. I liked the build up between the two of them, however; I agree with Kathy in that it was kind of awkward and do feel as if their eventual declarations were sudden. Regardless of that fact, I do really like this story. Especially entertaining is the way in which the entire Cullen clan is introduced to Jasper. I am hopeful for quick updates so I can find out what happens next and what's in store for this blossoming relationship.


Gotta a rec for Team Slash send it to me at hopey@pervpackssmutshack.com

0 comments: