Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fandom Hopping: Star Trek

Photobucket

Some may say we’re easily distracted.

Some may accuse us of giving up on Twilight (NEVER).

We say, “Why limit ourselves to just one fandom full of smut when there are soooo many other possibilities out there?!?!” And so we give you Fandom Hopping, a place to poke your nose into another universe, meet some new characters, and enjoy all the pervy possibilities when a writer fucks with the universe someone else created. Don’t worry, friends, Edward & Co. will all be there waiting for you when you get back, but for now, take a walk with us down a different path.


Fic: Within Our Reach
Author: starfish422
Summary: Slash: With a few exceptions, everyone in the auditorium that day assumed the animosity between the two men arose solely from the situation at hand. They were only half correct. Spock/Kirk. Mature themes, sexuality, mild language.


Chele - starfish422 has created a beautiful, succinct story which marries all of the awesomeness that is Star Trek with the beauty of slash fiction readers have come to love and crave in the Twilight fandom. (Though I would be remiss if I didn’t note that the beginnings of slash fanfiction are DEEPLY rooted in Spork.) This romance was so well stated and intimately woven into canon, that I completely believe that it happened just this way. The action and back story complimented the emotional build and held me en rapt as I read.

Within Our Reach follows rather closely the canon of the most recent Star Trek movie (If you haven’t seen, go now. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto on screen together are enough to make your ovaries explode.) while further exploring Spock’s internal emotional conflict regarding James Kirk, the rising star of the Academy. There is a subtle undercurrent of jealousy and desire which colors their early interactions as Spock tries to dominate, for lack of a better word, and show-up young Jim in the academic circle. It’s an exceptionally masculine version of playground hair-pulling in a far grander stage.

I loved the transition from opponents to lovers, and the time starfish422 took to make it happen. Each piece fell into place perfectly to make it feel completely plausible. Everything is built so subtly, that when Spock realizes his emotional draw to Kirk, I may have cheered.

He felt an unmistakable pull to James Kirk. Not just on a physical level, though it was undeniable that he was highly aesthetically pleasing. It was more than that. Spock wanted to know more about Kirk's life. He wished for more opportunities to witness his tactical brilliance at work. He wanted to have real conversations – not just debates and power struggles. He wished to work alongside James as a colleague and fellow officer. And, completely new – and terrifying – he felt lust.

The UST ratchets up to eyeball melting levels as Spock begins to internally explore his feelings for Jim. Every touch and interaction is thrilling, and the backdrop of action, which does not stop for a moment, never gives these young lovers a reprieve to slowly “figure things out”. Their connection is forged by the fire of loss, desperation and exhilaration, and it is completely beautiful and awesome to read.

Nerd Alert: I will admit without shame that I am a Trekkie. My childhood home was rather rural, and we did not have cable TV. However, we did have every episode of The Original Star Trek series on VHS, and I watched them. A lot. Thus, Kirk and Spock’s particular blend of testosterone and unresolved sexual tension has practically been written into my DNA in decoding male romance.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Star Trek universe (hee) or aren’t sure whether you can make the transition from Twilight, you can think of Kirk as Jasper (Blond, dashing, popular, and a natural born reader of emotions) and Spock as Edward (Stoic, sexy, overachiever, who can share thoughts). Stick them in an overly revealing military uniform, and put them in charge of saving the universe. Fucking Swoon.

Go Ahead and pretend, I won’t tell. Just don’t miss reading this piece of awesomeness.

Jen - I adore starfish422 because of her Twific. When she told readers of her fic Deep Dish, that it would be on hiatus so she could work on the Spock/Kirk fic she was writing for FGB: Eclipse, I was a little beside myself because that story was at a huge turning point. I thought, ‘oh, ok; Star Trek’s not really my thing. But who am I kidding? I’ll read anything starfish422 writes.’ So I patiently waited like a good girl; my reward was not only an amazing conclusion for Deep Dish, but also a spectacular introduction to the world of Spork slash.

Within Our Reach completely blew away any idea I may have had about what I was about to read. Familiarity with Star Trek is definitely not a prerequisite to reading this fic. starfish422 builds the story so that anyone, from casual fan to die-hard, will be completely enchanted with her vision of Kirk and Spock. The emotions that Kirk and Spock experience are so deeply felt, and I love the way starfish422 expresses them. The third-person pov allows us to get inside both of the main characters’ heads, and it also gives a slightly detached tone that feels particularly appropriate.

As I started to read Within Our Reach I realized it was answering questions that I didn’t even know I’d had about the original Star Trek series. starfish422 develops Kirk and Spock’s relationship slowly, giving us lots of background on them. The two men go from something close to hate to grudging professional respect to the slow realization that their feelings for the other man are more complicated than they ever could have guessed.

Before either man can truly admit to himself what he’s feeling for the other, there are some tender and emotional moments that will leave you with such an intense longing. The UST-meter on this fic is high; it’s so understated yet so intense.

Jim opened his eyes to find Spock leaning over him, looking intently at him. "No action on your part could make me hate you. There is no sacrifice required of me where your safety is concerned. Protecting you was not an act of selflessness. On the contrary, I will always protect that which I do not wish to live without."

Gah! Even if these words only held a platonic meaning they’d make your heart practically burst. It only gets better when the two men begin to accept their feelings for each other. starfish422 takes facets of Vulcan physiology and customs and turns them into gorgeously erotic exchanges. The most innocent things had me positively flailing and squirming. When Jim asks, "Do you...would it be okay if we...maybe...cuddled?" I was positively swooning. There are so many more wonderful moments in this fic (two words: finger kissing--UNF!), but I’ll leave you to discover them on your own.

Within Our Reach may very well end up being the last or only Spork fic you read--it’s just that good.

1 comments:

Katie said...

I lurve you guys. I really, really do. <3